Godwin’s Law is an internet concept that holds that in any disagreement in any online forum, eventually someone will end up making a reference to Hitler and, in the process, lose the debate.
I’m not the first person to argue that, in light of the current level of debate, specifically among the candidates currently seeking the Republican nomination for president this year, we need to place a moratorium on Godwin’s Law as it’s not uncommon to see rhetoric that is at least authoritarian, if not downright fascist in nature.
The candidate who seems to be the most authoritarian, the most fascist, the one who looks the most like the actual historical figure of Adolph Hitler, is Donald Trump. He has found a way to put his finger on the pulse of those who are most disaffected by changes to society today and plays to their basest fears.
This political cartoon, by syndicated cartoonist Mike Luckovich from about a week ago, illustrates this point beautifully:
If there is any doubt that Trump and Hitler have a lot in common, I’d like to put forth a little quiz. Below are twenty quotes, some of which were said by Adolph Hitler and some of which have been said by Donald Trump. I have only amended the quotes to remove direct references to Germany or America (instead amending it to read something like “our country” or the similar).
I have to warn you about some of these quotes without regard to the correct answer: they are truly frightening.
Who said it? Hitler or Trump?
1. I think apologizing’s a great thing, but you have to be wrong. I will absolutely apologize, sometime in the hopefully distant future, if I’m ever wrong.
2. Our country is in serious trouble. We don’t have victories anymore. We used to have victories, but we don’t have them.
3. The doom of a nation can be averted only by a storm of flowing passion, but only those who are passionate themselves can arouse passion in others.
4. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness.
5. Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.
6. Universal education is the most corroding and disintegrating poison that liberalism has ever invented for its own destruction.
7. Secular schools can never be tolerated because such a school has no religious instruction and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith . . . We need believing people.
8. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That’s why a little hyperbole never hurts.
9. A single blow must destroy the enemy… without regard of losses… a gigantic all-destroying blow.
10. We need strength, we need energy, we need quickness and we need brain in this country to turn it around.
11. One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.
12. It’s always good to be underestimated.
13. What we have to fight for is the freedom and independence of the nation, so that our people may be enabled to fulfill the mission assigned to it by the creator.
14. Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.
15. When an opponent declares, “I will not come over to your side,” I calmly say, “Your child belongs to us already… What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community.
16. When somebody challenges you, fight back. Be brutal, be tough.
17. In life you have to rely on the past, and that’s called history.
18. If you want to shine like sun first you have to burn like it.
19. What good fortune for governments that the people do not think.
20. I don’t have to be a dictator. I say “This is a good idea” and people do it, if they’re intelligent.
1. Trump. source
2. Trump. source
3. Hitler. source
4. Hitler. source
5. Trump. source
6. Hitler. source
7. Hitler. source
8. Trump. source
9. Hitler. source
10. Trump. source
11. Trump. source
12. Trump. source
13. Hitler. source
14. Hitler. source
15. Hitler. source
16. Trump. source
17. Trump. source
18. Hitler. source
19. Hitler. source
20. Trump. source